As you travel to your destination via Texas roads, you might be mulling over your list of activities you have planned for the day. However, whether this list is long or short, it probably doesn’t include getting involved in a motor vehicle accident.
Unfortunately, an accident can take place at any given moment and under a variety of circumstances. While preventing every single collision could be near impossible, by taking the time to learn about the scenarios in which an accident might occur, you could be better prepared to avoid a potential disaster.
Prevalent causes of motor vehicle collisions
Chances are, you probably consider your well-being to be paramount and constantly seek out ways to increase your safety. Although it can be challenging to cover every possible hazard you might face on the road, knowing the most common causes of collisions could be beneficial, and these may include:
- Impairment: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is never advisable, and those who operate a vehicle under similar effects may jeopardize your safety in the process.
- Distraction: Any act that causes a driver to divert his or her attention of the task at hand can be dangerous, and common forms of distraction include carrying on a phone conversation or texting while driving.
- Reckless driving: Aggressive driving and speeding are two forms of reckless behavior, and this type of negligence can lead to unfortunate circumstances.
- Ignoring traffic laws: Traffic lights and stop signs are in place at most intersections to assist in controlling the flow of traffic, and those who fail to adhere to traffic laws and signs might place you in danger in the process.
- Lack of experience: In some cases, drivers who lack the necessary experience to handle certain scenarios can also create a potentially dangerous situation.
In times of inclement weather, or at night, drivers may also be less capable of operating a vehicle safely. Regardless of how an accident happens, if the negligence of another party causes you to suffer serious harm, you might be wondering what comes next.
Suffering severe injuries in a collision could leave you facing a lengthy period of recovery and the financial hardships that often accompany extensive medical bills. While restitution may be an entitlement to you, the civil justice system can be complex. You could choose to seek guidance from someone with experience in similar matters, and in doing so, you might become better prepared to pursue the restitution you deserve through a personal injury claim against the party deemed culpable.